Union County Excellence in Business Award
Each year, the Union County Chamber of Commerce recognizes its Annual Award finalists at the Annual Gala in December. Over 500 members, special guests, and dignitaries attended last year’s Annual Gala and celebrated with the award finalists.
There are six categories for businesses, one for nonprofits and one category for individuals. All finalists in each category will be recognized with a professionally produced video presentation about their business, courtesy of Chain Reaction Studios. After the Gala, the videos are posted on the Chamber’s website and social media sites.
Community Impact Award
The Community Impact Award is presented to a business within Union County that embodies an overall spirit of giving through contributions of time, leadership and resources in support of local non-profits. The company chosen will show a high-level of giving through volunteer engagement, community impact and philanthropic engagement.
Previous Award Recipients: Community Impact Award
2018 – Stepp Law Group | Video
2017 – Carolinas HealthCare System Union
2016 – Novant Health
2015 – Charlotte Pipe & Foundry – Plastics Division
2014 – Cheryl Neely, Carolina Staffing Resources
Employer of Choice Award
The Employer of Choice Award recognizes businesses committed to creating a world-class workplace for its employees. The business has created a place where people choose to work over other competing organizations. Company leadership focuses on the importance of employee wellbeing, implements formalized programs to encourage health, and provides a workplace that encourages personal and professional development.
Previous Award Recipients: Employer of Choice Award
2018 – Double Radius | Video
2017 – UTC
2016 – RSC Chemical Solutions
2015 – Big Ring
2014 – Phuong Nyguen, QEMS, Inc.
Excellence in Business Awards
The Excellence in Business award recognizes a business that has attained significant growth and is able to demonstrate the specific strategies and processes implemented to achieve sustainable growth.
Awards are based on the following criteria: business growth and improvement, good financial health, quality customer service, sustainability, overall excellence in the marketplace, and community contributions.
There are two categories for this award:
Excellence in Small Business Award (20 employees or less)
Previous Award Recipients: Excellence in Small Business
2018 – Robbins and Associates | Video
2017 – Creative Food Concepts
2016 – Monroe Broadcasting Co., Inc.
2015 – Spivey Insurance Group
2014 – Mike & Susan Henn, Henn Automotive
Excellence in Business (+20 Employees)
Previous Award Recipients: Excellence in Business Award
2018 – Hargett Electric Company | Video
2017 – Brewer Hendley
2016 – Victory Bolt and Specialty (21-100 employees)
2016 – Greiner Bio-One (100+ employees)
2015 – Kate Clyde’s Catered Creations (21-100 employees)
2015 – GM Nameplate, NC Division (100+ employees)
2014 – Matthew Belk, Better Car People (21-100 employees)
2014 – Fred Edwards, Goulston Technologies (100+ employees)
Rising Star Business Award (Businesses within their first 3 years)
This Award celebrates Union County’s highest performing new companies and recognizes those that have exceeded initial targets for growth and financial performance; best demonstrated an understanding of their competitors, customers, and the markets they operate in; and have the foundations in place for continued commercial success.
Previous Award Recipients: Rising Star Business Award
2018 – Pack Pet Resort | Video
2017 – Passionate Paws
2016 – Sodoma Law – Union
2015 – Bradley Real Estate and Development/HCB Construction
2014 – Ron Odom, Dyna-Tech Manufacturing
Innovation in Nonprofit Award
The Arc Union / Cabarrus | Video
Lifetime Achievement Award
The Union County Chamber Lifetime Achievement Award is presented to an individual for a lifetime of consistent contributions to their business, their chosen industry, and to their community. Their actions, achievements and contributions evoke admiration and respect. The nominee should have an exemplary community service record and successful business history. Their influence and contributions have made a tangible impact on the lives of those around them, their communities, and their place of business.
Previous Award Recipients: Lifetime Achievement Award
2018 – Dr. Jerry McGee | Video
2017 – Carlton Tyson
2016 –Tom Williams
2015 – Dr. Howard Guthmann
2014 – Charlie Norwood
Previous Award Recipients
In 2014 we upgraded our Award categories to better fit our growing and ever changing environment.
Business Leadership Hall of Fame
- 2013 – Fred Carson Long, Long Wiring/Hargett Electric Co., Inc.
- 2012 – Judy Whitley, Charlotte Pipe & Foundry
- 2010 – Andy Boggs, Boggs Paving; Phillip Rareford Hargett, Sr., Hargett Electric Company
- 2009 – Bruce Griffin, Jr., Griffin Motor Company; Lynn Raye, Commercial Piping & Febricating, Inc.
- 2008 – Clark Goodwin, retired Banker
- 2007 – David McGuirt, Citizens South Bank
- 2006 – Carroll Edwards, Edwards Wood Products, Jake Plyler, USCO, Jimmy Stegall, Stegall Petroleum, Inc.
- 2005 – William Henry Belk, Belk Department Stores; E. D. Gaskins, United Carolina Bank; Tom Williams, Allvac
- 2004 – Bruce Griffin, Sr., Griffin Motor Co.; Tom Dillon, Monroe Hardware; Carlton Tyson, The Tyson Group
- 2003 – Dr. Jerry McGee, Wingate University; N. K. Dickerson, Jr. The Dickerson Company; John Roberts, Union Regional Medical Center
- 2002 – John Ashcraft, The Enquirer Journal; Don Brown, First Charter Bank; Roby Shore First Citizens; Frank Elliott, Allvac; Sara Furr, TPS/Furr and Associates; Larry Bishop, Union Memorial Hospital
Business Woman of the Year
- 2013 – Lorayn DeLuca, Union County Public Schools
- 2012 – Kathy Bragg, Union County Community Shelter
- 2010 – Judy Hinceman, Gino’s of Wingate
- 2009 – Carol Tyson, The Real Estate Link
- 2008 – Shellee Comer, The Silver Lining
- 2007 – Martha Parris, Prudential Carolinas Realty
Business Man of the Year
- 2013 – Chip Smith, Smith Grounds Management
- 2012 – Harris High, Heritage Funeral Home
- 2010 – Greg Nalewaja, Metro Honda of Union County
- 2008 – Bill Norwood, State Utility Contractors
- 2007 – Larry Hook, Hook Tire & Service, Inc.
Minority Business Person of the Year
- 2010 – Phoung Nguyen, QEMS, Inc.
- 2009 – Byron Pouges, Carolinas Medical Center-Union
- 2008 – Mumukshu Brahmbhatt, The UPS Store – Indian Trail
- 2007 – Barry Green, Green’s Commercial Cleaning
- 2006 – Rogelio Marin, Monterrey Restaurante
- 2005 – Paul Chatman, Chatman Computers
- 2004 – John Tillman, Excel Personal Development Co.
- 2003 – John Parker, Affordable Dry Cleaning
- 2002 – PraKash Desai, Best Western Inn
- 2001 – Gwyndoln Perkins, M.D.
- 2000 – Franklin Deese, A Tax Service
- 1999 – Dr. Benedict Okwara, First Care Medical Clinic
Volunteer of the Year
- 2013 – Gene Robbins, Robbins & Associates Insurance Agency
- 2012 – Gayla Tyson, StaffMasters
- 2011 – Liberty Stroman, Carolinas Medical Center-Union
- 2010 – Marti Stegall, Sparq Solutions
- 2009 – Jenny Prevatte, Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
- 2008 – Linda Smith, Union County JobReady Partnership
- 2007 – Sheila Crunkleton, The Charlotte Observer
- 2006 – Jessica Graham, Time Warner
- 2005 – Robert Sabin, Clearly Carolina
- 2004 – Robert Sabin, Clearly Carolina
- 2003 – Ben Phillips WKRE Radio
- 2002 – Dr. Bud Marchant, SPCC
- 2001 – Larke Plyler, Union Co. Sheriff’s Office
- 2000 – Pam Duke, The Charlotte Observer; Nancy Stephen, Cameo Communications
- 1999 – Rene Haigler, TPS/Furr Associates; Pam Duke, The Charlotte Observer
- 1998 – Charlie Polk, Allvac
- 1997 – Patricia Morris TPS/Furr Associates
- 1996 – Mark Strom, Wampler-Longacre, Inc.
- 1995 – Nancy Stephen, Cameo Communications; Mike Lee, Design Benefit Group
- 1994 – Frank Carpenter, State Utility Contractors
Corporate Spirit Award
- 2013 – Better Car People
- 2012 – Union Power Cooperative
- 2008 – Goodrich Corporation
- 2007 – OMNOVA Solutions, Inc.
- 2006 – Charlotte Pipe & Foundry, Plastics Division
- 2005 – Edwards Wood Products
- 2004 – Greiner Bio One
- 2003 – Carolinas Medical Center Union
- 2002 – ATI Allvac
Entrepreneur of the Year
- 2006 – Dennis Moser, The Moser Group
- 2005 – Jeanne Corwin, Coresco, Inc.
- 2004 – David Whitley, Whitley Mortgage Co.
- 2003 – Jeff Bass, Bass Insurance Services, Inc.
- 2002 – Gene Robbins, Robbins & Associates, Inc.
- 2001 – Linda MacConnachie, Sunshine Station Child Development Center
- 2000 – Thomas Moyer, III, CPA, Moyer, Smith & Roller, P.A.
- 1999 – Carlton Tyson, The Tyson Group
- 1998 – Lynn Raye Commercial Piping & Fabricating, Inc.
- 1997 – Kenneth Long, Sr., Protocorp International (sold to Bell & Howell)
- 1996 – Larry Fisher, Sr., Fisher Textiles
- 1995 – Sara Furr, TPS/Furr Associates
- 1994 – Kurt and Christina Larkins, Creative Concepts Café
Ambassador of the Year
- 2013 – David Barnes, Lion Marketing Group
- 2012 – David Smith, Edward Jones
- 2011 – Mark Turcotte, Forms & Supply, Inc.
- 2010 – Lorayn DeLuca, Lorayn DeLuca Photography
- 2009 – Nico Iannelli, AAA-Biggs Insurance Group
Women In Business Volunteer of the Year
- 2013 – Pamela Silverman, Pamela K. Silverman Law